I also scored a sweet new vanity light for only $14. But I had to buy the glass shades for it. I knew I wanted Mercury glass. So I went hunting. And I found them... Anywhere from $18-$79 apiece... And I needed two! (This would totally negate the sweet deal I found) Then I remembered seeing DIY Mercury tutorials online. And found these sweet gems for $2.50 each.
I thought... Let's give it a try!
Every tutorial called for vinegar and water. I had no vinegar but thought that maybe a little soapy water would do the trick, so I subbed for that. So here's what you need:
Spray bottle filled with soapy water
Krylon looking glass spray paint
First, I taped off the outside of my globes
Then turned them upside down and misted them lightly with the soapy water. I practiced on cardboard to make sure I got the most pattern right. Then I lightly sprayed the looking glass paint.
I gotta say... This stuff is cool. I sprayed a couple of light coats and then misted the inside one more time with my soapy water and began waiting for it to dry.
It totally worked!!! I love it! I think that the soapy water was a good choice. It provides resist and eats away a little at the paint on the back end. I'm so happy with the finished product!